Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.
Great article w/ excellent photos.
Nice.......
Wish I had the time (and expertise) to build something like that, but I'm from the metal
fab side of the road. About 15 years ago I did build a set of short throw exponential horns
for my 288's. I'll see if I can find a photo...... but they came out pretty good - from a visual standpoint anyway. 100 % tig-welded w/ all the welds ground down and polished. They sounded.......o.k. from what I remember. Never got around to mounting them in a cabinet or dampening them in any way (and they needed to be....) and ended up trading them for something.
Wow, very cool !!
Dave![]()
Is the multicell for bracing mostly, or sound direction? What if a person just made the same size horn, without all the braces that turn it into a multicell, would it still work?
Dave![]()
It's for ~controlled directivity to a very high cut-off, i.e. the original ~constant directivity horn design, ergo if just the 'shell' followed the outer flares it would be a 'plain Jane' rising on axis expo mid-horn that due to excessive beaming and internal reflections would need to be limited to around a decade of useful BW at most.
BTW, they aren't 'braces', but individual high frequency horns of very narrow directivity tied together to get a lower cut-off due to a much larger mouth area.
GM
Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.
Thanks GM.
Dave![]()
Bookmarks